Monday, February 17, 2014

A Valentine Post: My Girl

We got a snow day on Friday. The sky opened up and dumped 16 inches of snow on our state (give or take), so school was cancelled and my little ones were not happy about it. Most kids treasure a snow day, going to sleep the night before school just wishing and praying that they'll wake up to those magical words - "school is cancelled". Not mine. They would be unhappy about it basically anytime, but particularly on Friday because it was Valentine's Day, which meant no class Valentine's party. We had baked the day before, and my daughter had carefully written out her valentines to all of her classmates and her teachers.

I knew it was up to me to make the day extra special, since both of our school-age kids were pretty disappointed about not having school. So I took the day off from business stuff on my to-do list and had a spectacular day with my kids. We colored, we made decorations, we baked a chocolate cake (from scratch - get the amazing recipe here), we did puzzles. And while the boys napped, Lilah and I had some very girly time together at her request. She wanted to do makeup, nails, and foot massages. I threw caution to the wind and let her have at it with my makeup. I even let her paint my toenails and my fingernails, which I never do since I am OCD about polish chipping. It was truly fabulous.

I get to spend lots of time with my boys, since the littlest isn't at school at all yet, and our middle child is only in preschool for a few hours a few days a week. It is rare that I get to spend a real quality-time day with my girl, and I was so grateful for a snow day that allowed me to do that. She is such a fun child, so smart and creative. She even got spoiled by Daddy for Valentine's Day - he gave her a pedicure and painted her fingernails too! 

We ended the day with a home-cooked meal (steak, roasted potatoes, and asparagus for the grown-ups, homemade pizza for the kiddos) by candlelight, followed by our delicious chocolate cake. Then we pulled out our couch for our weekly family movie night (The Little Mermaid, chosen by Lilah this time), and all three cherubs crashed on the pullout for the night. No pomp and circumstance, no diamonds and five star meals, but it is a day that I will treasure in my heart forever. I truly could not have asked for a more perfect day, and I have the most wonderful bunch of valentines in the world.

Love and kisses,
Elysha

No comments:

Post a Comment